Skip to main content

DESOLATE AFTER LOSING HER SOUL MATE OF 46 YEEARS: BROKEN WIDOW SHARES HER STORY


The best thing you can ask for someone you dearly love is that if they must die at some point, they do so very quickly. A painful, protracted end is the worst thing for all concerned.
Three years ago, my husband, Tony, died from a heart attack totally unexpectedly. He was 69. Even in the midst of my distress, I was glad when the paramedic announced that he hadn’t ‘felt a thing’.
But such a shock does make it harder for those left behind. Suddenly I was all alone in a boat on the ocean, clueless as to how I would stay afloat. It took me a long time to realise there were other boats bobbing around out there in the darkness, too. I wasn’t as alone or as helpless as I’d imagined.

The first lifeline came three weeks after Tony’s death. I’d forced myself to attend a friend’s party and found myself sitting next to a fellow widow, who’d lost her husband five years earlier.
Somehow, I managed to ask the question: ‘I’ve never been a widow before. Please give me some tips?’  She told me I’d achieved her best tip already — just by getting out of the house and seeing other people. 
When I got home, I jotted down her words in a notebook. From then on, whenever I met another widow, I asked the same question. 
Within a year-and-a-half, I had quite a collection of advice. A friend suggested I compile a book to f advice. A friend suggested I compile a book to help others who, like me, are suddenly robbed of their soul mate — and a few weeks ago it was published. 
Of course, there are no set rules when it comes to coping emotionally. Some people struggle with their grief for years, and maybe never get over it. Others manage to move on.
Personally, I know that for the rest of my life whenever I encounter beauty — an exquisite piece of music or an awe-inspiring landscape — I will break down in tears, reminded of Tony. A lovely old romantic novel or the sight of an affectionate couple is sure to provoke the same reaction, too. But whenever I get myself in a  real pickle, I hear Tony’s words: ‘You’re perfectly capable, Janny. Just do it slowly.’
I always said that while some husbands pluck their wife’s feathers to prevent them flying, Tony added more feathers to encourage my independence. That’s something I’m very grateful for now.
We had met back in October 1963 at a party in Cambridge. Tony was studying mechanical engineering at the university and I was visiting my aunt.

He had just returned from working in the U.S. and stood out for pairing his English suit with cowboy boots. He was nicely tanned and had sun-bleached hair.

Want to come out for a meal with me?’ he asked.‘I’ll think about it,’ I replied.
He was cheeky and outspoken from the outset, saying: ‘Well you either do or you don’t — make up your mind!’
And so our relationship began, and two years later we were married. I was 20, he was 23.
I became pregnant with our daughter, Antonia, now 47, within six weeks  of the wedding. Susie, now 45, Alister, 43, and Nicholas, 41, followed in  quick succession.
We settled first in Islington, North London, and then moved out to Winchester, Hampshire, so that the children could have more space. 
I told Tony: ‘I can bring up two children on my own but not four!’
Read more: HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Announcer: Queen & Pst. Chris .O.

It's here again the season of love, weddings and marriage. It has been a lovely Royalty Blog year as we shared lovely photos and beautiful love stories from our Royal couples. The wedding I'm about to announce won't be any different from class and Royalty and just like me you too will love their pre-wedding photos, grinning from ear to ear..lol. Okay let's get right into it, where's my wedding bells?

READY BUT STILL WAITING

I have something to say, hmmmmmmm, I have something to say.... Listen! Listen pay full attention for I have something to say...... Ehennnnnn so let me land. When I dropped my first note this year " Same wish-list as every year" it was focused on the unmarried young lady and this led me straight to my next thoughts which i'm about to share with you. You know I always like to look at the flip side of every story, so my focus is undoubtedly focused on the unmarried brothers. When I write I draw my inspiration/findings from real life everyday  people and experiences that everyone can relate with, it doesn't necessarily have to be about me but I clearly like to state my opinion on life issues as I see or perceive them. *wink* Now  Prince charming got it all working for him, a good family, a great job, a nice apartment, may or may not have a car, perfect gentle man, ladies man, and goes to church at le ast every sunday. He's mature and respectful, he's always

Wedding Announcer: VeeBee2016 (Lovestory, Engagement, Photos, Wedding details)

Wedding bells! Wedding bells!! Wedding bells!!! It's been a longtime coming and I have eagerly waited for this day when I'll announce the wedding of this fantastic couple and tell their story. There's never a dull moment with this two; Veebee Squad So sensational gospel music minister Victoria Otabor popularly known as Veekezy is set to marry her heartthrob Bright Amazu on the 2nd of April 2016 (soft copy invite with details below) NB: Grab a bottle of sprite, or whatever you like as you take a journey into Veebees's world. You'll be smiling all the way. Okay enough said, oya let's go there. WHERE IT ALL STARTED (OUR LOVE STORY) Love is our transportation and forever is our Destination Groom : I couldn't mention one leaving the other. I could still remember that picture. It was the Display Picture of a friend on the Blackberry Messenger. In black skirts these ladies were and it seemed to me like it was their choir uniform. I loved mu